Monday, December 22, 2003

I Am the Future!

Today's Corporate Casual Headline of the Day is a dream come true for many of us. At long last, the promise of computers will be borne out in its benevolent fullness:

"Software Lets You Be in Office but Not"
(taken from the New York Times)

Does this mean I will never have to work again? No. Does it mean that I will be able to surf the internet and make it look like I am simply formatting a spreadsheet from the comfort of my own home? YES!

"The screen changed to the screen of my office computer. All the applications, from Lotus Notes to Microsoft Office and some homebrew software were there and worked exactly as though I were in AP headquarters -- but I wasn't. I was 26 miles west."

26 miles! The internet is amazing! I had never even conceived of this type of mobility. Imagine, one computer being able to talk to another computer over a 26-mile land distance! Incredible! Has anyone ever thought of investing in this kind of space-age technology? I bet you could make a bundle. Um, also, what is "homebrew software"? Because my guess is that this guy is not a hacker, just some dweeb at the A.P. who gets boring technology assignments. My guess is that the homebrew software to which he refers is a shareware flight simulator he downloaded on Kazza, or a Pit Fall emulator.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home