Friday, June 24, 2005

I Only Talk About Things I Don't Understand

If you're not an idiot, then you know that one of the best things about Tom Cruise is how he, much like IAmJamieSabuda and Donald Rumsfeld, will insist on something without using any factual information to back up his claims. He will just keep repeating it, over and over, until you understand exactly how right he is, and what a bleeding asshole you are for thinking anything otherwise.

Today's example is a perfect example:

Tom Cruise: Do you know what Adderall is? Do you know Ritalin? Do you know now that Ritalin is a street drug?
Matt Lauer: I understand the abuse of all these things --
Tom Cruise: [interrupting] Yeah but you don't understand the history of these drugs. And if you do, you know that it masks the problem. There is no such thing as a chemical imbalance!
Matt Lauer: But --
Tom Cruise: No, Matt, I know these things --
[Then later …]
Matt Lauer: So, depression -- is it all gobbledy gook?
Tom Cruise: No, Matt, I'm not saying that. That's an alteration of what I'm saying. These drugs are dangerous, mind-altering chemicals. There are ways of handling these problems so that we don't end up in a Brave New World.
Matt Lauer: You want [other people] to do well, but you want them to do well on a road that you approve of.
Tom Cruise: No --
Matt Lauer: [interrupting] But if anti-depressants worked for Brooke Shields, isn't that OK?
Tom Cruise: I disagree with it.
Matt Lauer: But aren't there examples where it works?
Tom Cruise: You don't even know what Ritalin is! If you read the papers on how they came up with the drug, the dosage ... You should be more responsible in knowing what it is. I am responsible. I know these things.
Matt Lauer: You're saying that you know how it affected people you don't know, but I do? You're now telling me that what has and hasn't worked for people I know, and I'm telling you I lived with these people and I saw an improvement.
Tom Cruise: So you're advocating?
Matt Lauer: No, I'm not. I'm just saying that in their individual cases, it helped them ... We could go in circles on this matter. But do you want more people to understand Scientology? Is that a goal of yours?
Tom Cruise: Of course. And I don't talk about things I don't understand.
(salon.com)

It's too bad that we don't live in the near future of the awesome Ethan Hawke vehicle, Gattaca, where babies can be genetically created to select only the most perfect characteristics. That way, when Katie Holmes got fat with her Tom Cruise baby, it would be good looking with an overblown sense of entitlement, but they could weed out the serious fucking "lock him in the attic and slip his food under the door and leave him there until he dies and then we can bury him in the back next to Bertha Mason" craziness of this fucking monster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home