Friday, August 26, 2005

Girls, We've All Got One/A Night That's Special Everywhere/From New York to Hollywood/It's Movie Night and Girl/The Feeling's Good

I'm sure this list will be revised at a later date, but watching Race with the Devil last night reminded me of that old J.H. Lit Class work with the classic narrative conflicts. You remember:

1. Man vs. Nature
2. Man vs. Man
3. Man vs. Himself
4. Winnebago vs. Marauding Cult of Satanists

There are a few I'm omitting, obviously, like, Man vs. Terminator, Man vs. Undead Man and the—in my opinion, overused—classic, Man vs. Clown.

Anyhow, that's it. That's what I was thinking about. And I had plenty of time to think during Ride with the Devil's 88 minutes. After the initial question of "why don't they just cut their vacation short and go home?" went gratuitously unanswered, there was nothing left to do besides ponder, and watch as that rattlesnake bit that ugly guy's pants! Hey! Stop biting my pants! You're really going to have to see it yourself if you want to know more, but let's just say that it had us all breaking up, and the ending inspired a very emotional rendition of Johnny Cash's classic:

I parked in to a burning ring of fire
I just parked, parked, parked
and the flames went higher.
And it burns,burns,burns
the ring of fire
the ring of fire.


Then we watched Philadelphia Sunshine! I resisted this show last week, but I've had to give it to The Miz, it's got some real laughs in it. I think my favorite thing about this show is that the production quality, combined with the fact that it's on the FX channel, and the zero-factor of unword-of-mouth, makes me feel like I'm the only person watching it in the world. Of course, that's all about to change now that I've used the E-MEGAPHONE of my e-diary. Now I'll know that threes, literally threes of people are watching it with me.

9 Comments:

Anonymous trevor said...

are the episodes as funny as the synopses make them out to be? seriously, no really seriously, they make the show sound really seriously good.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Worker #3116 said...

It's got some real laffs in it, and I don't treat laffs lightly.

11:01 AM  
Anonymous trevor said...

you mean like non-derisive laffs, the hardest to come by? i think i'm gonna call my cable operator stat.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Worker #3116 said...

We're talking earned laffs, here.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous ok tiger said...

do you watched starved, the show before it?

we were really enjoying it until this week, when it was not funny and just super gross and uncomfortable.

eating disorders are totally cool.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Worker #3116 said...

Starved is starved for laffs!

Obviously, I cannot watch that show. The obese and matters of the obese disgust me.

I did see a guy pour some Ajax on a brownie last night while waiting for It's Always Cheesesteak in Philadelphia to come on. But he didn't eat it, so they missed some major laff potential.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous mccullen said...

my name is not The Miz and i will contest this point at least once for every entry in which i am referred to as such!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Worker #3116 said...

Why did the corn hate the farmer?

8:15 PM  
Anonymous mccullen said...

because he was always pulling his ears. EARS of CORN!!!

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home