Thursday, October 13, 2005

Atones

One of the prayers in the Kol Nidre service lists all of the sins for which you should apologize to God. I counted all of the ones I had commited in the past year. 27. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad, but there were only about 30 on the whole list. Many of them were a direct result of this diary. I also think that it's a sin to be at work right now, and to have driven my car this morning, so, you know, 29.

You are supposed to wear canvas shoes to the synagogue on Yom Kippur. Something about simplicity, or the decidedly vegan nature of the holiday...fasting plus no harm to animals ever. But I saw a bunch of Jews last night wearing their leather running shoes. See, they almost looked like they weren't made of leather, because they clashed with your suit. But they were. It is what one calls a half-gesture. But there was nothing about half-gestures in the list of sins.

Do you even know anything about me? I eat, like, all day long. Don't expect too much fun from me today, fun-seekers. I'm making my atones.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jason Jones said...

So, for Yom Kipor Jews are supposed to reflect on sin and seek atonement. Jim's jewish friend asked him for forgiveness for some stuff. How come you never reflected on sins you commited against me? What kind of jewish friend are you?

1:38 AM  
Blogger Worker #3116 said...

The kind who commits 27 out of the 30 sins in the silent Amidah.

10:11 AM  
Anonymous brother #3116 said...

my favorite part was when I read "to He Who is too awesome for praise," and I thought: then why am I going to be in synagogue for 11 hours?

4:21 PM  
Blogger Worker #3116 said...

When the rabbi started his sermon on THE DAY OF ATONEMENT by referencing E.T. I started to understand, just a little, why you Orthodoxes hate us.

Then I rembered your funny little haircuts.

4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home