Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Encyclopedia Brown and the Case of the Empty Movie Theater

There is an article in today's New York Times about the long history of failed attempts at making an Encyclopedia Brown movie.

I only remember one Encyclopedia Brown mystery. It involved an egg spinning contest. What the fuck is an egg spinning contest? Is that how you nerds spent your free time? Anyway, one kid's egg was basically unbeatable when it came to spinning, and Encyclopedia Brown decided to "crack" the case. Turns out, the kid was a cheat: he hardboiled his egg!

I can not wait to see how that plays on the big screen. The CGI egg will blow your fucking mind.

Anyway, in the article, the creator of Encyclopedia Brown, Donald J. Sobel, has this to say about Howard Deutsch, the man who bought the rights to the franchise in 1979:

"I will not identify with the name you used. Don't talk to me about that name. He's no hero."
(New York Times)

I like this quote, because it makes me imagine the journalist's preceding line of questioning:

"Mr. Sobel, I would like to talk to you about Mr. Deutsch, the hero who owns the rights to your creation."

2 Comments:

Blogger s. badazz said...

"If I tell you the Champagne bottles that I didn't open in 1981 when I heard that Warner Brothers, Chevy Chase and the delicious Goldie Hawn were going to make this movie."

11:50 AM  
Blogger Worker #3116 said...

"I'd like to banger her sisters if you know what I mean."--(titty-fucking joke.)

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home