Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Seyckey Seyck

Last night, I was listening to the worst show on NPR, The World. I hate the "let's go out for an Arabian coffee and maybe smoke a hukkah because we are white and went to college" theme music. I hate Lisa Mullins's voice. Everything about The World just sucks. It's like listening to kids in the dormitory cafeteria argue about philosophy or something. "I believe Deleuze said it best...hold on, I need a chocolate milk refill."

Anyway, there was this bloviating story on about a game in Cambodia called Sey and they were talking about it in the most exalted NPR style. "This ancient tradition," "buried deep in the foothills of history," "as the sun sets after a hard day's labor, Dith Pran moves with the grace of a bird," crap like that. But as they're talking about it, how you have to keep this feathered ball up in the air without letting it hit the ground...how you use your feet to kick it...how no one wins...I'm like okay, HACKEY SACK.

At first I thought this was inarguably lame (especially since the story was all about how Sey has somehow healed the country after the Khmer Rouge's reign of terror, and I'm like, "There's gotta be some devil sticks in there, too, right, and maybe an aerobie? At least a frisbee. I know there's a frisbee. Let the healing of co-ed naked quad sports begin. May the Killing Fields of yesterday become the Playing Fields of today." I looked it up on wikepedia, and it says that Sey is "similar to a hacky sack, cockfighting and soccer."

Hacky sack, soccer, and COCKFIGHTING! Now that is what I call a sport. But tell me, does it look like this:



or this?:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I caught the last 2/3s of that story while taking a bath last night, and I thought they WERE talking about cockfighting, so I was baffled how they reconciled all the warm fuzzies with their inborn PETA-type impulses.

(nothing worse than being trapped in the bathtub with an interminable, boring NPR story on the radio -- you take your chances, though)

But they were hackin'? That rocks, dude.

The problem with The World is that it doesn't know what it is. And I don't know what it is. I can't gauge how they hierarchize their stories -- what is their editorial mission? To be a bland BBC/NPR hybrid for the least-listened-to hours?

-- Clown Coffee

1:24 PM  
Blogger Worker #3116 said...

Wait, a bath?

And then did you brush your hair with a thousand strokes?

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bloviating! excellent descriptor.
- y.b-l.a.r.

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember hearing the story of how the Newcastle mascot, "Geordie", was kidnapped, held for ransom, and apparently well-traveled on The World in 1997 or so.

Years later that stupid Travelocity mascot tried to pawn himself off as a fresh and new idea.

It's not a question of who is listening to The World and more a question of who cares.

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home