Thursday, December 15, 2005

I Have My Doubts About the Lexicological Abilities of Top 40 Hip Hop Artists

Fed up, I looked up "scrilla" on http://www.urbandictionary.com. It means money. I guess I probably could have figured it out, maybe, but I was too caught up in Paul Wall's constant "scrilla/chinchilla," "scrilla/caterpilla" rhyme schemes to spend any time thinking about it. But so then I wanted to know how they got to scrilla from "cash money." Like, okay "merc" means to kill coming from "mercenary," which I can see. But I've been acrosticizing "scrilla" all morning and I still can't get the jumbled letters to spell out "cash" or "money" or "green" or "paper" or "benjamins." Then I saw this explanation on http://www.urbandictionary.com:

derived from the word scroll, which is how paper used to be used was on a scroll. scroll became scrill, then scrilla.

Am I the only one who reads this and calls "bullshit." You're telling me that E-40 looked up the ancient ways of pounding papyrus and questioned just exactly what was in those merchants' baskets that Jesus so carelessly sent flying across the temple floor? And then you're going to tell me that somehow, I don't know, Busta Rhymes came along and made slight adjustments to the word over time? The man dresses like Cab Calloway on meth.

Next week: "cheddar."

2 Comments:

Anonymous brother #3116 said...

that word's been around for a long time. I can't tell you its etymology but I read a NYT article about slang like 10 years ago that mentioned it and said scrilla was of West Coast origin.

10:29 AM  
Blogger Worker #3116 said...

Right. Sometimes I forget that you are able to draw upon New York Times articles that you read when you were 12.

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home