Thursday, December 15, 2005

Um...Hi...I'm...I'm the Senate. I...I Was Just Wondering if You...Oh...Oh, You're Busy. I'm Sorry!

Senate Is Set to Require Details on Secret Prisons
(New York Times)

It has been a long time since my high school civics class, which was taught by a guy fresh out of college. He was really nice, but he could not maintain any semblance of order among a mixed-grade group of students who was not thoroughly engrossed in learning about our nation's inner workings. I remember two main things about that class:

1. One time a kid was acting out in class and the teacher didn't know what to do and he looked over at me and I shook my head so he kicked the kid out of class.
2. Ti-1000 was in that class before we were friends. I think he was on acid most of the time, and he was always coming in with some new Guv'ner 7" that he bought during lunch.

My point is that maybe I don't really get how things are supposed to work. But I do have a modicum of common sense, so I actually understand bureaucracy. This is a big country, and everyone wants to stick their finger in the pork pie. I have trouble some days deciding what I want for lunch, by myself, much less needing a quorum of 100 people representing 295,734,134 other people about whether I want the meatballs or the baja wrap. So, okay, a spending bill gets all tied up. Fine. BUT THIS?

"The Senate is poised to approve a measure that would require the Bush administration to provide Congress with its most specific and extensive accounting about the secret prison system established by the Central Intelligence Agency to house terrorism suspects."

Poised? You're the motherfucking Senate, and we're talking about an international scandal over serious potential threats to human rights under the auspices of the United States government. You work within a mile of the White House. Why don't you get up out of your fancy red-leather chair and go ask for the information. Why don't you all get your assistants to immediately Blackberry your votes in to the floor saying that "Um, Yeah, we would like to know what is going on. Because, you know, we are the FUCKING SENATE." It's really hard to decide what is more disconcerting, that the government maintains "black sites" for secretly interrogating prisoners of war, or that the government maintains "black sites" for secretly interrogating prisoners of war and the Senate doesn't know about them, or that the government maintains "black sites" for secretly interrogating prisoners of war and the Senate doesn't know about them but is unsure how or even if it should go about asking.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

In my own defense I eventually learned this stuff in fancy pants college.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Waage said...

Worker #3116, I very much want you to run for the Senate.

You have my vote.

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home